Friday, October 16, 2009

getting the fire wood for the winter

Well now that the house it weather tight, I have now discovered that I have way too much fire wood. The first year, we burnt 6 cords of hardwood, mainly because we moved in to the house before it was insulated. We had R-5 only. (the pink foam). We insulated on January 1st, then we burnt about 1 cord from then on for the rest of the winter. We put in R-100 in the attict. It might seem a little overkill but it was actually easier than trying to put less because of the design of the trusses.

Last year, we burnt 1.5 cords of hardwood with a mixture of Hardwood pallets that I got from work. This year, I have nearly 3 cords of pallet wood. I am going to sell some cordwood before it rots. it's already 2 summers old so it needs to go. It has already snowed this year and it's only October. Feels like a cold start to a long winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment